When people think of Fiji they normally think of the water. However, they have many delicious delicacies.
Fiji coconut buns are one of those delicacies.They go great with hot cuppa.
Yield: 15 buns
- 4 cups of flour
- 3 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2.1oz butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 milk
- 2 cups coconut milk
- To make the buns place the flour, yeast and sugar in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and add the milk. When warm add the egg and beat well.
- Pour this into the flour mix and form into a soft dough.
- Turn out and knead until smooth and shiny – about 10 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl and roll the dough around until its covered in the oil.
- Cover with cling wrap and leave until double in size.
- Turn out and knock down. Divide into 15 pieces and shape each into a smooth bun shape.
- Place in greased/oiled cake pan so they are just touching and set aside to rise again until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Pour over coconut milk. It should just cover the buns. Bake for 35-40 mins or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and eat while still warm.
Here is the finished product!