Here is an amazingly delicious recipe for scones. They are yummy and very simple!
Yield: 12 scones
- 2 cups of flour (preferably cake flour)
- 4 tbs of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbs butter, room temp
- 1egg, lightly beaten
- Milk, enough to add up to 3/4 cup with added egg
- 1 egg extra
- Heat oven to 400 deg F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add butter and rub in with fingers until it resembles crumbs.
- Beat egg lightly, pour into a measuring cup, and add milk — you can use buttermilk instead — to make up 3/4 cup liquid.
- Add liquid slowly to dry ingredients while mixing. You should have a soft dough, but not wet or very sticky.
- Sprinkle flour on a wooden board or working surface. Turn dough out on that. Pat out lightly with fingers until about 1 1/2 inch flat, or a little less.
- Press out rounds about 2 1/2 inches across.
- Gather excess dough and repeat process.
- Beat extra egg well.
- Put the scones on a greased tin, use a pastry brush and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for about 13 minutes until well risen and golden.
- To serve, best use them quickly. Coffee shops keep making up batches, so as to serve them almost hot from the oven.
- To eat, break open while hot or warm, and eat with cream and different jams.
All you need now is English Breakfast Tea, a good book, and a warm blanket to relax and enjoy an English delicacy.